RE: [IP] Re: HgbA1C Questions

 email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> I have the following questions:
>      - What is a normal person's HgbAIC range?
>      - I told my doctor that I wanted to be in the 5.5 - 6 range.
>           - Is this possible?
>           - Will a lower range help defer complications due
> to high glucose
> levels?

Congratulations on your achievement.

5.5 is doable (my last HbA1c was 5.7).  This is in the normal range for a

A lower HbA1c is an indicator of the *likelihood* of complications.  The
lower the HbA1c, the lower your odds of having diabetic complications.
However . . . it's no guarantee.  There are diabetics with excellent control
(below the 7.0 cutoff indicated by the DCCT) who have serious complications,
and there are diabetics with HbA1c levels near 10 who have no complications.
Having said that, I'd go with the probabilities.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR