Re: [IP] Poll: Diabetics Misjudge Disease

In a message dated 2/20/2002 5:53:26 AM Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Two out of three diabetics don't consider
>  cardiovascular disease a serious threat, a new poll says, even though heart
>  disease and stroke are the leading killers of diabetics.

This didn't surprise me a bit.  Since my daughter was dx'd with Type 1 about
16 months ago, I've come to find many people around me (non-family members)
who are type 2 -- and how poorly educated they are about their diabetes --
what it is, how to monitor it, what their options for care and management are
etc. . . . When I think of how many people I've talked to whose doctors have
basically been told that as long as they take their pills and don't eat a lot
of desserts or candy, that they'll be fine - it just makes me so sad and

pumpmama to Katie