Re: [IP] Stress, anxiety, depression, etc.

<< I really want and feel the need to be with my mom right now and it bothers
me that I can't be(I am about 2 hours from home).  >>

Hi Cheri,

I feel for you and your mom.  I know how hard that is to go through a serious
illness with a loved one.

The part of your email that I copied above, to me, says it all.  "I really
want and feel the need to be with my mom."  Cheri, I would listen to that
urgent desire and do what it takes to satisfy it.  We never know how long we
will have with someone--my own love of my life died when we were both 38 yrs
old, after 20 years together.  Regardless of the outcome of your mom's
illness--and I hope and pray for complete recovery!--you will never regret
the time you spent being with her and just loving her.

IMO, all those external pressures (school, internship, etc.) can be dealt
with.  Just remember that you *always* have a choice in how you respond to
such dreadful circumstances--you are not a prisoner of those circumstances.
It might help to write down what is stressing you the most (e.g., being
physically distant from your mom) and tackle that problem first.

I agree with everyone else that your health has to be a top priority.
However, after my husband died, I just couldn't come out of my depression
enough to care.  You do what you can do.  I would just encourage you to
listen to your heart and to seek therapy (and possible meds) if your
depression continues.  Your email cites several of the leading signs of
clinical depression: lack of sleep, loss of appetite, inability to
concentrate.  You do need to be at your best, physically, in order to deal
with the stress of your mom's illness.

best of luck to you, and please let us know how it's going.