Re: [IP] Re: Gabe's failed site (long)

After having my son (now 14) on his pump (MM
507C) for 3 years, we have NEVER had a no
delivery alarm that wasn't attributed to running
out of insulin in the resevoir. (Since the 508
has a low insulin alarm, I wish we could upgrade,
teens don't always think ahead)

Your desire (and Gabe's) to be successful with
pump therapy will determine if it works or not.
With any mission, you must have a reason: a clear
vision of WHY you are doing it.

We had our own list of reasons to start pump
therapy. Using Humalog insulin only, no long
acting, unreliable NPH. Being able to sleep in on
the weekends, skip meals and/or snacks if he
wanted to.  Better A1C. Better LONG TERM quality
of life. Quicker response to bringing down highs.
Sports and school and family travel are easier on
pump therapy, than on injections.

Ryan was diagnosed at age 5, he used injection
therapy for 6 years before the pump. He rarely
went for 7 hours without checking BG prior to
pump therapy. He never goes anywhere without his
meter.  In my opinion, no type1 Diabetic child
should ever be without a glucose meter. If Gabe
hates checking BG on injections, he will still
hate it on a pump.  Does his dislike of checking
BG outweigh the reasons why you considered pump
therapy in the first place?

If Ryan doesn't have an infusion set with him,
(he can change it himself) or an insulin pen,
then yes we get dressed and run to the party and
take him whatever supplies he might need. (He is
becoming quite self sufficient, we plan ahead to
avoid these situations by him taking supplies,
but it can still happen) He almost always has a
cell phone with him when he's away from us; when
he was younger he was always with another adult
who had access to a phone. We do not live in
constant fear of DKA because he does check BG
often and the only time he had DKA was before he
was on the pump. There is a period of adjustment
from DMI to pump therapy.  It is different.  We
feel the benefits of pump therapy greatly
outweigh any inconvenience.  Ryan is much
happier, and freer with the pump than without it.

Your issues are yours and Gabe's. If you don't
have reasons to put Gabe on the pump, then you
won't be happy with it.  All the issues you
outline can be dealt with, you just have to want
to. (Just like you have dealt with issues on DMI)

I also think that a little better start would
have made things easier. It used to take 30
minutes or more to do a site change, now it only
takes a few minutes.  You should have practiced
more than once before you were sent home with a
fully loaded pump and inadaquate supplies.
If you decide to try again, in My Opinion (which
is only worth whatever credibility you want to
give it) Don't do it unless you REALLY want to be

Some tips we have found helpful:
 Emla will make the insertion pain free. Get some
assistance with the infusion sets, practice with
the inserter on something besides your son.  Read
the book pumping insulin. Keep talkingto other
kids and parents who are using the pump and are
happy and successful with it.
We don't believe freedom from syringes=slavery to
a meter.  He needs to use his meter anyway to
maintain good control no matter how his insulin
is delivered. Good luck to you in determining
what is best for Gabe.
Rae (mom to Ryan age 14, pumping 3yrs, dx age 5)

ate: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 23:52:07 EST
From: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Re: Gabe's failed site

breakfast bolus of 3.5 units.
5 unit per hour basal (common for small kids).
lunch about 7 hours later (somewhat delayed
lunch).That is 3.5 units for bolus and 3.5 units
for basal or a total of 7 units in 7 hours.  If
he doesn't check during that period, (which is
not required to do), then he could technically go
7 hours without insulin, not even a meal bolus,
and not know it because the alarm could go as
much as 7.2 units of nondelivery before it is

So I guess you have to check about every three
hours.  I can tell you that Gabe will hate that
MORE than 3-5 injections.

Tonight he is off at a party.  B.G. all day was
84-120 (120 was two hours after breakfast).  No
hypos.  He took his Ultralente before he left.
no meter with him, but has glucose tabs and will
definitely take them if he feels low and/or is
very active.  EVEN if I underdosed dinner and he
high when he comes home at 12 or 1 a.m., there is

NO chance of DKA.  None.  I couldn't feel that
confidence with the pump.  Could you?  Would you
insist on a b.g. check in that 5-6 hour period?
Would you send an extra set to the party?  What
your child cannot do a site change alone? Would
you then get dressed and run to the party and
help?  Gabe had four injectons today.  Now he is
all night til bedtime.  He feels free and I feel
he is safe.

These are the issues I need help resolving with
the pump.  Freedom from syringes=slavery to the

Please advise.

Do You Yahoo!?