[IP] Animas Pump and Occlusion Alarm

Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 23:17:53 EST
From: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IP] Animas pump

Thank you; makes sense; I wish I could get some real verifiable data on the
issue.  3-4 units is somewhat acceptable, although 3-4 units of missing
insulin would mean about 350-450 rise in b.g. for Gabe.

Thanks for your input.  I continue to investiage.

Marion

Hi Marion,

I have used an Animas pump for 1 year.  All pump companies say they have an
occlusion alarm.  I used another pump for 6 years prior to the animas and
never had an occlusion alarm, only 350-400 blood sugars with a kinked infusion
set when I took it out.

With Animas I have received 6 occlusion alarms in a year, my blood sugars were
not even over 150, and when I took out the set, it was kinked.  It truely will
alarm if less than 1-2 units is not delivered.

Each pump company has a slightly different system to detect alarms.  I TRUELY
BELEIVE THAT THE ANIMAS IS A BETTER PRODUCT FOR OCCLUSION DECTECTION.

The other feature that really has impressed me is the 0.05 basal increments.
If a 0.5 basal is not enough and the 0.6 is too much you can do a 0.55.  This
is the only pump that offeres this!