Re: [IP] MM 508 failure

Yvonne Nicolas <email @ redacted> wrote:

> When  our pump was approximately one year old, the buttons stopped working
> and we would get a VER101 alarm on the screen. We now have a loaner which
> working fine. I love MM but I think there is some kind of defect in the
> buttons, many people having the same problem...

QA/QC* has some "features" that a lot of people are unaware of.  QA/QC does
not mean error free (or fault free, in this case).  It means that it is
maintained at an "acceptable" level.  While it seems unacceptable for any
one of us to have the pump fail, to the company (MiniMed in this case), it
goes into the data base, and will be analyzed.  If the number of occurrences
in a given time period are within the pre-determined acceptable range, then
the company considers that there is not a problem.  Of course, they should
work very hard to correct the problem by replacing the pump as quickly as
possible.  If the number of problems exceeds the QA/QC range, then they'll
take steps to determine the source of the problem and fix it.

*QA/QC = Quality Assurance / Quality Control.  QA/QC comes about through the
marriage of statistics and the manufacturing process.

Jim Handsfield