Re: [IP] Animas pump

> > Anyone using the Animas pump know (have read, not heard by heresay) how
> many
> > units need to be missing, blocked, not delivered before the pump alarms.
> For
> > the Minimed 508, it can be up to 7.2 units missing before an alarm
> > don't know what it will be for a Paradigm.
> >
> > Thank you.

I was told by my CDE (who talked like she had real data but I did not ask to
see it, so this may be nothing but intelligent speculation) that for all the
pumps that the occlusion detection limit is primarily controlled by the set
being used and the location of the blockage. That all the pumps will alarm
if the drive mechanism is obstructed for 0.1 to 0.4 units. Since the insulin
is essentially non-compressible the real issue is the expansion of the
tubing as insulin is forced into it. The volume of insulin necessary to
generate detectable back pressure is dependent on how long the tubing is to
the blockage and how stretchy it is.

My personal experience with a MM 508 and 42" Sof-Sets is that between 3 and
4 units is necessary to trip the alarm