Re: [IP] First set Change

On 17 Feb 2002 at 2:11, email @ redacted wrote:

> I've been on the pump for about 3 weeks, and my sugars are still not under
> control. Did anyone else go through an adjustment stage where there sugars
> were wacky?? Also, my diabetes educator said to remove the needle first, upon
> insertion of the infusion set, and then take the front and back tape off.

I still felt the effects of the long-term insulin I had been taking for over a week.  Then in the next two months my team and I were able to establish a fairly good basal pattern
for me (still needs tweaking after 3 years).  I had achieved a 7.0 A1c on MDI and for the first nine months on the pump my A1c was 6.8   Doesn't sound like much
improvement, but when you factor in that the hypos were not "knocking me down" like they did on MDI, those numbers were just fine.  After one year on the pump I got my
A1c down to 6.0 and have had some mid 5 numbers since then.  And I've had some upper 6 numbers also when things change; stress, food, change of activity, learning
how to count a new food and factor in fat and protein.  It is an ongoing learning process.

Which came first, the chicken or the egg?   I tape mine down first then remove the needle.  The thought being that the needle stabilized the cannula during the movement of
taping.  But I also took the cover off the front of a Tender tape and prepared the back for easy removal.  Maybe your CDE thinks you can cause capillary damage by not
removing the needle first?  YMMV