Re: [IP] Re: Gabe's failed site

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002 15:59:19 EST Marion wrote:

>What disturbs me is my most recent conversation with MiniMed; it takes 4-6
>units of missing insulin delivery for an alarm to be activated and it can be
>as much as 7.2 units before it alarms.  THAT IS about 6-8 hours with a basal
>of .5.  With MDI, Gabe really can go 6-8 hours without checking if he was
>normal at the last meal and doesn't feel hypo.  With the pump, he will be
>forced to check every 3-4 hours on the chance of an undetected occulsion or
>bad site.  I would like to know how the rest of you deal with that.

Gabe is much more likely to get a No Delivery alarm when delivering a
bolus than when delivering basal. So he doesn't necessarily have to
wait 6-8 hours. He will probably get the No Delivery alarm at the next
meal after the occlusion starts. Admittedly, that's not a very
convenient time to get an alarm, either, but at least it's sooner than
if it only depended on basal delivery. And also at meal time that's a
very likely time to be testing BG, which would be elevated if there
was an occlusion. On the other hand, the worst case would be at night
because of the greater time between meals.

>From what you have told us I am surprised that Minimed would have put
the loaner pump into your hands with only two infusion sets on hand.
How long was the trial supposed to have lasted if everything had
worked properly? Since you were using insulin, and not saline, it
seems to me that the trial should have been planned to last at least a
couple of weeks. You did mention that additional Minimed supplies were
in the delivery process, but that's cutting it a lot closer than most
of us IP contributors seem to do.

Since I am convinced that pump therapy is superior to MDI therapy, I
hope that you and Gabe will be able to begin again and that the
Paradigm will eventually make things easier for you. I have a special
appreciation for what the mothers of child diabetics do, because of
what my mother did for me. Unfortunately (for me) my mother didn't get
to deal with pumps.

Tom Beatson
dx 1942 at age 10, MM506 1995, MM508 2001