[IP] Re: Gabe's failed site

Hi Marion,

So sorry to hear that you encountered a problem.  I feel the MiniMed
rep should have given you more infusion sets.  It shouldn't be
expected that, as a newbie, you get the hang of it on the first try.
I hope you and Gabe feel the pump is worth trying again.  Maybe since
you realize the benefits of pumping, you could make a "deal" with
Gabe.  This is how we handled it with Noah.  He was 12 at the time
and wasn't completely sold on the pump.  I felt certain, after
researching the benefits of pumping, that we could do better than his
A1C's on MDI which ranged from 8.1 to 9.5.  So, his dad and I
insisted he try the pump for six weeks.  At the end of that time, the
three of us would discuss pros and cons and decide if we stuck with
it or go back to MDI.  Noah didn't like having something attached to
him the first day of pumping, especially to sleep, minded less the
second day, and by the third day it didn't bother him at all.  Didn't
even notice it anymore.  But the big surprise to all of us was his
unexpected comment one week into pumping as to how great he
felt...his energy level had returned!  It was at that point that he
informed us there was no way he was going back to MDI.  So much for
the six week trial period!  He also loved the freedom the pump
allowed in so many ways...sleeping in, eating as many times as he
wanted and NOT having the bother of drawing up and injecting Humalog
each time, basically just the convenience of having everything he
needed right there at his fingertips.  It also has made eating out,
hanging with friends, sports, social activities, and caring for his
diabetes in school so much easier to manage and his disease less
noticeable.  His friends think his pump is high-tech and cool...so
much cooler than injections!  But the biggest seller was the
increased energy level he got back and his much improved A1C's.  His
most recent was 6.9.  Pretty okay for a 15 year old who likes the
typical teen fare...high fat, high carb fast food!

Best of luck!  Keep us posted on how things are going.

Cindy, mom to 15 y/o pumping Noah, dx at age 9 and,
Micah, age 11
wife to Steve

snip>>Well, Gabe's site failed after 24 hours; we couldn't get the
new one in.  SO
   we are back on shots.  He is happy; I am sad; I really prefer the pump.