Re: [IP] Family Friend's 6 yr Old Boy Newly Diagnosed with IDDM-----Dr says ...

In a message dated 2/16/2002 9:13:09 AM Mountain Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I feel now that it is my turn to return the favor because a
>  family friend's little boy was just Dxed.

That's wonderful!  And I'm not at all surprised that they were told that a
pump was not an option.  We asked about a pump the very first day of diabetes
education (the day after dx), a week later, and a month later -- by then I'd
done enough research that I KNEW that our endo was stuck in the dark ages and
worked to switch to a doctor who would put kids on pumps . . .

Here are online resources (besides IP, of course!) that I always provide to
families whose child was recently diagnosed:

 <A HREF="http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/index_cwd.htm">children with
DIABETES On-line Community</A> (CWD)
 <A HREF="http://www.uchsc.edu/misc/diabetes/UIDDM.html">BDC: Understanding
IDDM</A>  (Also known as "The Pink Panther Book" )
 <A HREF="http://members.aol.com/CamelsRFun/">KidsRPumping web site</A>
 <A HREF="http://barbchafe.tripod.com/InsulinPumps/">A Canadian Butterfly</A>

The CWD web site has a email list for parents of kids with diabetes that is
really wonderful about providing support and education for parents of newly
dx'd kids . . .

Pumpmama to Katie