[IP] Re: Gabe sleeping with pump

Hi Marion,

Fantastic start for Gabe with the pump!  Keep us posted on how it's going.

In establishing his basal rates, this page from the IP website is
very useful plus the book by John Walsh "Pumping Insulin" latest
edition which I belive is 3rd:

http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/howto/baslr.html

It took us a while to get Noah's basal rates set properly since he
was 12 at the time and activity levels varied greatly from day to
day, as well as his appetite, etc.  But it was well worth the effort.
Our experience was after his basals were set correctly, everything
else fell into place.  We had already been doing carb count and
matching Humalog to that on MDI.  So there was no learning curve on
the boluses.

As a new pumper, Noah wore flannel boxer shorts with an inside pocket
to hold his pump.  We purchased them on-line at:

http://www.diabetesnet.com/Checkout4Pro/bin/nowcgi.cgi/inslpumpac.html
?mode=cgi&page=vinslpumpac.html

Now he either tucks it in a pants or shorts side pocket (regular
flannel pants work fine) or lets it loose on the bed.  Gabe will find
the most comfortable way through experiencing with different methods.

Best of luck!

Cindy, mom to 15 y/o pumping Noah, dx at age 9, and,
Micah, age 11
wife to Steve

snip>>PLEASE TELL ME WHERE TO PUT THE PUMP WHEN HE SLEEPS.  RIGHT NOW
IT IS IN HIS
FRONT POCKET?

Thanks
   Marion