From: "Andrew Bender" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2002 10:33 PM
Subject: [IP] blood pressure meds

> Julie writes my PCP recommended Vasotec but when I read the side effects
and noted acute renal failure.  Well Vasotec protects your kidneys. It is an
ACE inhibitor Even if only one person in a group of thousands had acute
renal failure they have to warn you. and why was the patient being given
Vasotec? you have no clue. You do have some elevation in your BP and vasotec
will be valuble in preventing further kidney damage. Once you get renal
damage it does not go away. Diabeteds and hypertension are major causes of
end stage renal disease. Go see a nephrologist, get your urine checked for
microalbumin, get a creatinine clearance test. and an ultrasound of the
kidneys before you go. bring all the results with you. see what the
nephrologist recommends. I would have recommended Altace (Ramapril).
medicine is too complexthese days to assume your pcp has the knowledge of a
nephrologist. spot