From: email @ redacted
To: email @ redacted
Subject: [IP] pump malfunction
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 02:03:53 EST

Cory's pump decided to "eat batteries."  They used to last 4 - 5 weeks.  Two
weeks ago the new ones lasted about a week, the next ones lasted a couple of
days, next ones about a day and by Saturday night the lastest ones only
lasted 30 minutes!  I called MiniMed and they are sending a refurbished
pump.
  It should be here Tuesday.  Meanwhile, I had to test his b/s and give
humalog injections every 2 hours Saturday night.  On Sunday we were able to
add NPH so that has reduced the # and frequency of shots.  Now I am wishing
we had gotten the Diestronic so we would have had a back up pump!
Before the pump, Cory always had severe headaches.  I contributed it to the
high and yo yoing blood sugars.  But now that he is back on NPH, he is once
again complaining of severe headaches.  Does anyone know of a possible
connection?  His blood sugar is in good control with the NPH and Humalog --
SURPRISE!  It had been rather eractic the past month and so now I am
wondering if the pump has been malfunctioning and I wasn't aware of it.  The
self test never revealed a problem.
Anxiously awaiting a replacement pump,
Susan