[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #101

In a message dated 02/10/2002 1:37:59 PM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> From: email @ redacted
> Subject: Re: [IP] Stats
> In a message dated 2/9/02 11:32:08 AM, email @ redacted writes:
> << It has to be in the US.  My mom's family is from Europe, and they hardly
> ever
> hear of another pump besides the Disetronic.  I guess that's because it is
> Swiss company, but it is the leading seller in Europe. >>
> Yes your are very right:)   they do well there:)

I assume the smileys indicate a friendly smile and acknowledgment that Diset
ronic is the leading pump in Europe, not a hidden jab at the Europeans.  I
chose the Disetronic pump after watching all the videos and comparing the
various functions.  I chose a pump that I thought would work well for me and
would be easy to operate.  Several upgrades have been made since I got my
H-tronplus.  There were only a few pumps available when I had to decide.  I
would like to upgrade to a pump that communicates with my computer.  Since
there are now three or four choices out there, I would definitely reevaluate
what I like and dislike about each pump.  I can't really say which I'd choose
at this point, but I like the Disetronic.  I find it very easy to operate.

I would definitely hope that the smiley about Europe didn't indicate a
looking down on a continent that supplied many of America's top scientists
and researchers.  Americans are truly a product of a melting pot.  We come
from all over the globe to work together.  Where would we be today if not for
the Swiss ingenuity in making intricate complex gear-driven clocks and
machines for centuries?  The Germans gave us most of our rocket scientists.
The Japanese gave us some of our best computer scientists.  Some of the most
brilliant thinkers I've ever been around come from Africa.  I'm thankful that
I live in a country where people from all over the world can come together
and design something as wonderful as an insulin pump.  I can't wait to see
what they come up with next.

I don't understand what the big deal is about which pump is the best.  We all
chose what we thought would work best for us.  I certainly don't look down on
Minimed because it didn't have some features that I felt were important for
me.  I think it is a great company.  I am not offended if some people don't
like Disetronic products.

Of course, what I think is important in a pump will not be what someone else
feels important.  Companies do their best to produce a product that people
will want to buy.  That's what free enterprise is all about.  We have
choices.  I wish we could all design our own personal pumps so we could take
the best of all the pumps and put them together in a personalized
superpumper.  Until then, can't we all just get along?