Re: [IP] Getting kids to exercise

 email @ redacted writes:

> You will probably have better luck getting your child to exercise
> regularly if you involve them in organized sports. Soccer,
> basketball, etc...

My girls would never participate in any team sports.  When they were younger,
they would refuse to go.

The ones that have the exercise contract are 17 and 14.  My 17 y/o is over
weight and thinks everyone is "looking at her" where ever she goes. She won't
even go for walks in the neighborhood, because she is so self-conscious.  She
is on meds for anxiety and depression, high blood pressure, and I felt a
"contract" with a reward would be a good incentive.  She has wanted a dwarf
hamster and we told her if she exercised 3-4 times a weeks for 12 weeks, then
she could have one.

I am hoping that by the end of 12 weeks, she will have a better self-image
and will see some results and feel better.  And hopefully she will keep it up
after the 12 week time.  Her drs. tell her to lose weight, but the dietician
says not to diet because that can lead to more serious eating disorders.

My 14 y/o is thin, and has some health issues and isn't taking gym in school.
 Because of this, we wanted her to exercise at the Y too.  She is doing the
treadmill and bike and seems to like it.  Her reward is to get her ear

By the way, both are straight A students.

Dx Type 1: June 1983
pumping since 2/01/02
MM 508