[IP] How to bolus for protein

Can someone give me the basics for bolusing for protein.  Its two in the
morning, I haven't eaten since seven this evening, and my blood sugar is
creeping.  Could that still be from dinner?  If so, how do you handle it?
Either a very long square wave, or change my basal starting six or seven
hours after I've eaten.  This is very frustrating, my control has been pretty
tight lately~when this happens I feel liked I've screwed up somewhere.