[IP] Diet Mt. Dew and Concentrated Orange Juice

In a message dated 02/09/2002 12:51:55 PM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> .
> BTW, if diet Mountain Dew states 0 carbs, it can't have orange juice
> or any other type of sugar in it.  The law requires ingredient
> information to be listed, and listed in order by largest amounts
> first.

The ingredient list reads "Contains: Carbonated water, concentrated orange
juice, citric acid, aspartame, potassium benzoate, citrus pectin, potassium
citrate, gum arabic, natural flavors, brominated vegetable oil, yellow 5 and
erythorbic acid."

The second highest ingredient in Diet Mt. Dew, including caffeine free, which
is what I'm reading from, is concentrated orange juice.  It does, indeed, say
it has 0% carbs.  I don't know what they're required to count, but the orange
juice is definitely there.  That's what makes my sugar high, not caffeine.  I
drink a lot of diet dr. pepper without any problems.  I can't drink the diet
Mt. Dew products without bolusing.  I think the FDA needs to be aware of this
problem.  How can they list not only orange juice, but concentrated orange
juice and not have to count that as carbs?

I have no doubt that caffeine affects blood sugar to some degree.  However,
in my personal experience, diet soft drinks that contain fruit juice make my
bg high.  It is important for me to not only read the carb totals, but also
the ingredient list to find out what is hiding in there.  Diet soft drinks
that do not contain fruit juice do not make my bg high.