[IP] Re: Do adult basals change?

In a message dated 2/8/02 10:57:08 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<< My basals change frequently and they change a lot. Since I started the
pump, they have varied between 0.3 u/h and 1.5 u/h....I can go months with a
single basal (generally 0.7 u/h) and then have periods of changes between
fixed basal plateaus as often as every few days.

I had the same kinds of changes while using injections for over 25 years.
It's just easier to spot now that I've forsaken long-acting insulin. There
appears to be no interest in the clinical medical community ... or the IP
members in this kind of basal variation.>>

Gosh, Andy, I hope it's not that you are really a woman who's been going
through menopause for the over 25 years!  Sounds like my experience during
the past year!

But, more seriously <gr.>, I too have had fluctuations in my insulin needs in
my adult years without obvious cause.  Until recent years, I couldn't
quantify them very well, but a 40-50% change as a middle-aged adult had been
pretty common.  I have had doctors who insisted I must be doing something
different, and others who just encouraged me to relax about it (but I
suspected that they, too, thought it was something I was doing, they just
weren't into the blaming mode).  I have decided in recent years that I have a
sharp change in insulin need with just a pound of two difference in weight
around 120 pounds -- maybe there are other "critical" points in my body that
I haven't picked up on yet.  Menopause has made a 3-fold change pretty
common.  I test a lot!

Linda Z