[IP] Why Do I Do This?

I just came back from a meeting where I started feeling symptomatic.
Instead of doing something about it there (I did suspend), I put it off half
an hour until the meeting ended.  By the time I got back to my office, my bg
was 42, and I was shaking like a leaf.  Instead of doing something
reasonable about it, I snarfed two jelly donuts that were in the kitchen!
I'm still ravenous, even though my bg is (obviously) on the rise.  I could
eat a car tire right now!  I know my bg is going to go into the 400-range.
Anyone else experience such craziness?  How do you handle situations like