RE: [IP] Mathless Pumping

Pat Jobe [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> I love math and am pretty good at it but I have to agree with
> you. The pump
> could and should do a lot more. I suspect that we will be
> told that the pump
> companies can not add those features because the FDA has not
> approved them
> but I'm not ready to buy that logic.

There are some interesting things about technology.  It seems to grow by
jumps.  Computer speeds, for example, don't increase smoothly.  It wasn't
long ago that a 100 MHz Pentium was a real speed burner, and it was a big
deal to get a 2400 baud modem!

We are also very much at the dawn of this sort of high speed technology.
Provided that pumps are still necessary in 20 years, I suspect they will be
quite different from today's state of the art.  Who knows - maybe someone
will invent a tiny implanted device that will manufacture insulin as it is
needed, and we'll only have to make sure we take a pill once a month to
provide the raw materials for it.

While we all yearn for something better, let's not make light of the
accomplishments made so far.  How many of us would give up our pumps even if
they didn't have the custom capabilities that they now have?

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR