Re: [IP] Need New Insurance

In a message dated 2/7/02 3:44:39 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< But, he also asked about the Michigan Law and, I am guessing, as to
 a diabetic's supplies can be NOT covered due to being a "pre-existing
 condition".   I don't believe that the Michigan Law addresses this situation.

Federal law addresses that situation. It's called the Kennedy-Kasselbaum Act.
If you do not have a break in coverage (like through COBRA), your next
insurance company cannot make you wait for coverage on a pre-existing
condition. However, there is no law saying that an insurance company is
required to sell you a policy. That was addressed in the article I wrote for
Diabetes Interview, "A Question of Coverage," (which also contained the URL
for a Web site maintained by Georgetown University that details insurance
laws in every state).

Jan and Elvis