[IP] Endo's and A1Cs Maureen's vent

From: "Maureen Reagan" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] Endo's and A1Cs

This post is a vent.  I tried to vent it to my
boyfriend, but he just
quite "get it" (he has never really dealth with any
sort of health

Yesterday, I went to my appointment with my
at-the-time-current endo.
was my 4th appointment at this office.  (Last spring I
moved to this
At this diabetes clinic, you aren't assigned to any
specific endo.
are about 4 plus the head guy.  The first time I saw
just the head guy
loved him.  Appointment two was a disaster that I
walked out of and
ended it
by having it marked in my chart that I was NEVER to
see the endo that I
that day again.  Appointment number 3 was okay.  The
endo I got did not
computer written logs, but other than that I got along
with him (I
it would be worth it to just copy two weeks worth of
numbers by hand
give it to him).  Yesterday, appointment number 4.
First, I got the
that I said I was never to be scheduled with again (I
had a late
and was the only one left other than the head guy,
which I evenually
after I threw her out... again).  Second, she starts
by telling me that
didn't like how I had written out my log and bagered
me because she saw
I had previously been giving them computer print outs,
and she likes
better.  Arg.  Then when going over my numbers, she
said that I HAD to
done SOMETHING that caused my inconsistent numbers.
(I had cooked a
pot of a rice casserole thing, and had it for three
consecutive dinners
just like doing that at times).  All three dinners, I
started off close
in range.  The first night I was 400 at bed, and then
two hours after
correction dose, I was 53, and took a massive amount
of carbs to
Day two, I was fine afterwards.  Day 3, I once again
went to 400, but
exact same correction brought me to a perfect 115.  I
stated events
this frustrate me.  She said that I must have caused
this somehow and
is my
fault.  I am at the point that I don't blame myself
for things like
this I
can't explain, I just correct and move on.).  Then the
comment that
made me
throw her out.  She said I had not tested at ALL
between November and
weeks ago because I didn't bring in records to prove
that I did.  I
done NOTHING to make her not trust me.  The office has
never asked me
more than my most recent 2 weeks worth of records.  I
am not going to
with someone that insults me and doesn't trust me.  I
need someone to
support me.  If I could trust the group that I would
never get her
again, I
would stay, but I had already requested to NEVER see
her, and was
that I never would.  (And yes I am yelling, I'm quite
ticked off.)  So
I am
back to shopping around for an endo (my insurance
company requires me
to see
an endo every 3 months, and eye exam annually, and
periodic formal
education programs... however they do cover all but a
small co-pay, so
I try
to conform... I hope it will give me a better chance
of upgrading when
decide to).

The other thing was I got my A1c again.  After I
started on Humalog and
Ultralente, my A1c's were always in the high 6's.
Which was good and
Good because I and my endo liked the range, bad
because I was weekly
several reading in the 20-35 range.  Since I have been
pumping (for
close to
3 years now), I have bounced between 8.4 (I NEVER had
a A1c that high
before) and 7.2.  With all of my endos saying that I
need to get it in
low 6's.  On the positive side, my blood sugars are no
longer a super
and I don't think I've had more than 4 bgs in the 30's
(and none in the
20's) since I started pumping.  That along with
sleeping in, not having
drag around syringes, and more freedom eating and
exercising, I would
However it
frustrates me
I can't get my A1c's lower.  I am forever basal
testing.  It can work
perfect one day, then be wrong two days, then fine for
the next 4.  At
point, I've stopped blaming myself for this, and
decided that it is
what my
body is doing (at least at right now).  I'm getting to
the point where
only way I think I could get it lower would be
consistently testing
every 2
hours (at least while I'm awake) and adjust.  I don't
know if I want to
this (I do test around 4-7 times a day).  Sometimes,
diabetes makes me

Maureen dx 10/94 pump 4/99
PS I suspect part of my feelings are due to my recent
lack of sleep.
Because of the ice storm, I had an unexpected,
unwilling, 94 year old
houseguest for close to 2 days.  Not only did I have
to completely
my house to keep her safe and from ruining my stuff
and have her aides
in my
apartment, the one night I had to care for her myself
(her aide who was
scheduled had pnenomia), she was paranoid, possibly
hallucinating, and
trying to run away.  I got 11 hours of sleep total in
a 3 day period.
this is not when my really unexplained numbers
happened (although I had
strange ones, but I attributed all of them to stress).
 Sigh.  Thanks
the vent, I needed it.  ;-)
about your bf, non diabetics just don't get it. they
never will. about your clinic visit, you are entitled
to be treated as a person. you should for the reason
of consistency in treatment see the same doc on every
visit. switching between docs is stupid and wastes
your time and theirs. asking why you had a high is as
dumb as asking if you have lows. no matter what form
your stuff is in they should be able to look at it
without your copying it over. After all its not for
publication or airing on the evening news. I use Gluco
Pilot and my doc loves it. I would ask your doc why he
can't read the more legible form of your log. making
you copy it over is mickey mouse stuff. you can always
vent here, that is why we are here and we do
understand. It is degrading to be spoken to as if you
were a low-grade moron. I'd insist on the same doc or
get out of there. hope you and Jude are feeling
better. spot

email @ redacted

Do You Yahoo!?