RE: [IP] boy scouts & diabetics

Hi Kathy:
I used to be a Cub Scout, Boy Scout and Girl Scout leader fully trained in
camping.  I know when Girl Scouts go on a large camping trip, there is
always a nurse around.

However, as far as Boy Scouts go, there is usually only the leaders and a
ranger at the campsite.  Unless you have someone in the troop with medical
training I would be leary as well.

I know I used to have to carry around lots of goodies with me, especially on
hikes and that was when I was on shots.

Your true alternative is to go camping with them.  Yes, it is allowed and
no, your son wouldn't be considered a wuss....

Question...are you on the committee of his troop?  If so, you are more than
entitled to go on camping trips as long as you pay your own way and do your
share of the work.

You MUST BE registered as an adult with Boy Scouts in order to go on any
outings but if you are on the committee, then you would already be
registered.

Do you know, will they be tenting, doing lean to's or cabin?  You can always
request a separate tent for yourself and don't worry about the boy's room,
showers, etc.  You will see how they learn to adapt with females present.

Our cub scout pack used to always have a mother/son camp out with JUST moms
and their sons...was great watching all the moms not sleeping at night cause
they were afraid of what critters would be lurking about..  lol...

My co leader and I?  We would be sleeping like logs once we knew the boys
were all tucked safely in their sleeping bags until early next morning.

If you'd like any other info e mail me privately.