  From: Michael
  To: email @ redacted
  Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2002 6:22 PM
  Subject: Re: [IP] my continuing toe problem

  > In a message dated 2/5/2002 7:07:35 PM Central Standard Time,
  > email @ redacted writes:
  >

  > > uuuhhhh...... what about good old Gout? How's your kidney function??
  > > email @ redacted
  > >

  > thankfully, my kidney function is normal.     the podiatrist did ask
  > if there was any gout in my family, but there isn't.     is it
  > hereditary?

  I don't know much about it, I don't think so.... My dad had it for a
  couple of years when he was in his 60's or 70's. He changed his diet
  and it went away -- he (as I) liked a rich diet. My brother-in-law
  has had it off and on (while in his 50's I think). He was a fairly
  heavy drinker. He stopped drinking and the problem went away and has
  stayed away for 10 years or more.. I don't know what part of the diet
  causes the problem or really what goes on physically -- you'd have to
  ask a doc or look it up on the web. It has something to do with not
  properly excreting certain chemicals that build up in the tissue and
  cause problems (gout). In midevil times it was a disease of the rich.