[IP] Soup!

We had some friends over the other day and had a *lot* of veggies
(cauliflower, broccoli, and baby carrots) left over from the hors d'oeuvres.
I found an old recipe to use them, and it was so good, I have to share it:

    3 leeks (wash them well!)
    2 medium onions
    1 cup baby carrots (or one large carrot)
    3 medium potatoes (peeled and sliced)
    3 to 4 cups broccoli and/or cauliflower flowerets (sp?)
    1/4 # butter or margarine
    1 tbs sugar
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper
    5 cups chicken stock
    4 tbs heavy cream (or crhme fraiche if you have it)
    2 egg yolks

Cut leeks, onions, and carrots into coarse dice.  Melt the butter in a soup
pot and sweat the leeks, onions, and carrots over medium heat (covered) for
about a half an hour.  They'll be about half the volume.

Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer (covered) about an hour.  With a
hand blender*, puree the soup.  Mix the yolks with the cream, pour a small
amount of the soup into the eggs, and then pour it all back into the soup
and mix well.  Do not boil after this liaison is added or the yolks will

Serve with good coarse bread and your favorite wine (I served a California

*If you don't have a hand blender, a food processor will do - it just takes
several batches - or use a food mill.

If you want a purely vegetarian soup use water instead of chicken stock.

Leeks have the wonderful characteristic of taking on the flavor of whatever
you add to them.  The soup with just broccoli added is called Potage
DuBarry, BTW.

I haven't worked out the carbs yet, so I used the WAG methodology for my
dinner bolus.

Jim Handsfield