[IP] Chinese food - Success!

Hi all,

We had a thread going a couple of weeks ago about the difficulties of
bolusing for Chinese food--most of us can figure out the dose so the
post-prandial reading is good, but we usually go high many hours later.

One of the moms on this list (sorry, I can't remember the name) said she
takes her son's basal rate for 5 hours, then gives him a square wave bolus
for *half* that amount, squared over 5 hours.

I figured, well, he's a kid...I'm going to try the full basal amount.  So,
here are my results:

pre-meal:  75
2 hours pp: 90
middle of the night: 120
next a.m.:  86

What I did:  Four hours after I had eaten the Chinese food (I've done a lot
of tracking of my BGs for Chinese, so I know that my BGs don't start to rise
until at least 4 hours post-meal), I programmed a square wave of 3 units
spread over 5 hours (my hourly basal during the night is .6, so I multiplied
the hourly basal by the number of hours I wanted the bolus to last).

This is the first time in my entire diabetes life that I have had perfect BGs
for Chinese food!

Thanks for all the ideas, and especially to the mom who gave her advice.