Re: [IP] Re: diligent diets (was glycemic index)

In a message dated 2/4/2002 12:25:00 PM Central Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Hey, maybe Jake could chat on-line with Gabe.  They have paintball in common
> and pretty soon, the pump in common as well.  Ask Jake if it is okay.  I
> will
> tell Gabe too and he can send his screen name.

Jake would love that!  You asked about the social lives of other kids on the
list.; I guess we have had to deal w/ all of that early because the guys in
our neighborhood are all 13-15 and from the time Jake was little (diagnosed
at age 3) they have all watched out for him and really know a lot about his
diabetes. We live in a very rural community and they hunt, fish, paintball,(
outside and away from the house a lot)and eat at whoevers house is the
closest and whoevers mom has cooked. I work 2 jobs, one till dark(driver's ed
teacher) I have not gotten brave enough to let them drive me at night yet! I
guess because his closest friends are older it has caused him to want
independence earlier......... After I wrote back earlier today, he called
from school for me to bring insulin, his reservoir was low, and we were
rushed and forgot to do it this morning, Anyway, I asked him did he think
stuff like this was too much trouble w/ the pump and if he could would he
want to go back to shots, he looked at me like I had lost it and
said,"NEVER!"   He feels so much better w/ pump and we do not fight the lows
as bad, but we never got the shots and the activity levels down either. Some
days they play playstation and some they play 2 on 2 basketball for hours and
this is easier corrected w/ the pump than shots were because we were never
sure when the N was going to peak or how much the exercise was going to
affect it. Trena