[IP] The social life of a 12.5 year old

Well, I am not sure what your kids life style is.  Gabe goes to a private
school; he is almost always home at breakfast, lunch and dinner.  If he stays
late for something, he simply eats later.  He snacks if he wants to at that
point; either a small snack with no insulin and/or a larger snack with
insulin.  He is driven too and from school because it is too far to walk.  He
doesn't "hang-out" in the sense of staying around for hours and hours with
other kids; he comes home, does homework, eats and then goes back out and etc.

If the kids are going out, he generally gets his meal in before he goes
because he likes home food.  If he is eating with friends, we guestimate the
insulin and worry about correcting later.

Do all your 12.5 year old kids have social lives away from home?  I have five
kids; 22, 19, 14, 12.5 and 9.  The younger ones  are home for meals most of
the time or take packed meals for activities. Even the 14 year old tends to
eat at home.

Maybe when Gabe hits high school, it will be different.  But we do like our
kids to come home from school first, before going off with friends.  It is a
way we have found for keeping boundaries and a little tighter supervision.
It works for us.