Re: [IP] Re: diligent diets (was glycemic index)

In a message dated 2/3/02 12:36:15 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I honestly am struggling to see how a pump will help my son.  His HBA1Cs
 been 6, 6.2, 5.9 and recently 5.8.  He eats anything he wants at meals (and
 mean anything) on the condition that I weigh it, account for its glycemic
 index and dose it. >>

My A1cs were in the 5th and 6th percentiles when I was on MDI. They are in
the 5th and 6th percentile on the pump. I ate whatever and whenever I wanted
on MDI. I do so on the pump. My overall control has not changed, nor have my
eating habits.

However ... I *feel* better on the pump! Even my husband noted that my cheeks
were rosier and I had more energy once I started pumping. The pump is,
simply, more like "normal" pancreatic action. I can compensate very easily
for my dawn phenomenon so that I don't start my day high and feeling rotten.
I can hop on my bicycle and ride at a moment's notice. Pumping is so much
more than eating when you want to.

Pump alarms rarely go off. Pumps rarely "glitch." You hear about those
instances more because people don't comment when everything is going along
perfectly. People in shul aren't going to care if the alarm does go off, just
as they didn't care last Yom Kippur when I had to slip down off the bima to
grab a couple of glucose tabs. People understand that it's for health
reasons; that it's not frivolous.

Jan and Elvis