[IP] Re: diligent diets (was glycemic index)

LOL about the 'no license yet' comment!

I wish we had had the pump when my daughter was first
diagnosed 5+yrs ago. She was 6yrs old and would
sometimes take forever to *decide* what she wanted to
eat. Sometimes she would take a while *to* eat or just
didn't *want* to eat. As you parents know, it isn't
easy getting ANY kid to eat when they aren't hungry,
much less one with diabetes who HAS to eat,
regardless. Needless to say, we had a lot of meal time
battles in the early days. A pump would've helped a
LOT because it would've given her the freedom to eat
the way that was natural for *her*. When she went on
the pump we didn't have anymore food issues (we were
having them right up until the day she started
pumping). The freedom and flexibility that pumping has
returned to her has been *wonderful*. This, as well as
better control, is why *we* wanted to pump. Since Gabe
is older you probably don't have the same problems
with food/eating that we had though, and he seems to
have great control. I can't say that you'll love it
but neither can I say you'll hate it. You'll just have
to try it and see if it 'fits'. It's not for everyone!

Oh, and thanks for clarifying your email (re: the
glycemic index vs carb factor) earlier. The method
described in the books I mentioned only used carb
factors and not glycemic index. The two methods are
similar in the way they are calculated but that is it.
They are definitely two different methods (because the
glycemic index and carb factor are two different
things). Ron's method is much more intensive than the
one in the books as it accounts for more than just the
carb factor.

Marion said:
I have heard that the pump gives people a "license
to eat".  Gabe is only 12.5; no license yet.

Take care, Kerri, mom of Shannon-11, dxT1 5.2yrs, pumping 2.2yrs
Military Families of Children with Diabetes [MFCWD] parent
network of WA, diabetes & pump mentor, future CDE, but most
importantly, mom to 8 beautiful blessings :)
~*~Integrity is how you behave when no one is looking~*~

Do You Yahoo!?