Re: [IP] Re: diligent diets (was glycemic index)

In a message dated 2/2/2002 9:26:15 PM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> think the reality meter among pumpers is pretty low when it comes to
> encouraging MDI people to start pumping. I think people who are considering
> going on a pump need to hear more than just "you can eat what you want when
> you want and it's wonderful." This may not be the case. Of course with
> experience

I honestly am struggling to see how a pump will help my son.  His HBA1Cs have
been 6, 6.2, 5.9 and recently 5.8.  He eats anything he wants at meals (and I
mean anything) on the condition that I weigh it, account for its glycemic
index and dose it.

We often get through the day with only 3 injections, U and H before
breakfast, H at lunch and U and H at dinner.  His post prandials are rarely
over 130.   I have found that when he eats a large meal or pizza type meal, I
can simply split the dose of insulin.  He corrects high b.g.s maybe four
times a week.  The dawn rise is a problem, but I am working on that by
gathering data on how much it is and possibly correcting it before it hits.
It is not consistent.  Even if he rises from 4-7 a.m., those hours of high
sugar still won't hurt him.

Tonight we were at the synagogue at a prayer service.  I imagined Gabe on the
pump and the pump starting to alarm during the silent prayers.  Or him rough
housing with his friends after services and messing up the insertion site.
And so on and so on.  I was glad he was already finished with dinner, covered
by a shot of Ultralente and H and hopefully finished with diabetes for the

When the refreshments were served, he really wasn't hungry and I don't
encourage him to snack.  He had a few grapes and that was it; the cake and
cookies weren't appealing to him since he had dessert with his breakfast,
lunch and dinner today (usually only dinner gets dessert, but he wanted to
try some of the home-baked leftovers from the night before).

So what in the world would he have done with a pump today?  I simply need to
convince myself; he is going to give it a trial one way or another, but I am
not on the bandwagon yet.  I have heard that the pump gives people a "license
to eat".  Gabe is only 12.5; no license yet.

That's all....still can't figure it out.