RE: [IP] Re: sugar busters/glycemic index of foods

At 10:25 AM 2/02/02 Jennifer Harkleroad wrote:
 >I agree that a carb is not a carb is not a carb.  I can eat some things
 >and have no problem, but others I know will run my sugars up

That's because besides just carbs, you need to factor in the fat content.
High fat foods like donuts have a lot of fat in them. The problem with fats
is that they don't raise your BG's immediately, but sneak in there many
hours later. So if you eat higher fat foods, you just need to compensate by
taking an added bolus later or using a longer-acting bolus (YPMV -- your
pump may vary)