In a message dated 2/1/2002 7:11:34 PM Pacific Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I've seen the method you describe used in Stop the
> Rollercoaster, Pumping Insulin, and other sources but
> they don't give credit to anyone in particular for the
> system (did Ron Sebol really develop it? Or did he
> develop a system using the GI?) :) Did you mean to say
> carb factor (vs glycemic index)? You're using the term
> glycemic index, which I've never seen used in this way
> before. They are two different things. The carb factor
> gives the actual concentration of the amount of
> carbohydrate - to get the g of carbs you weigh the
> item and multiply its weight by the carb factor (which
> is exactly what you describe below). The glycemic
> index ranks foods based on their immediate effect on
> blood sugar - sugar is given a ranking of 100. But it
> appears from what you are showing here that you are
> using the glycemic index in the same way as the carb
> factor. I've never seen it used in that way before. I
> don't mean to come across like I'm picking on you,
> just want to make sure I'm understanding what you're
> doing correctly.
> I think you'll do just great with pumping, btw!

I have never seen a dosing system where the Glycemic index is used
Stop the Rollercoaster speaks of a carb factor; I think that is another name
for the glycemic index. I don't know why the author didn't just call it what
it is which is  the Glycemic Index.

Ron developed the system so that the carbs and gi are used together to dose
In this system a CARB IS NOT A CARB IS NOT A CARB.

Many, many references talk about paying attention to the glycemic index of
food and particularly to limiting high glycemic carbs.  However, no one has
actually used the glycemic index as an actual dosing factor.

When I was dosing straight carbs, I got some predictability.  Dosing carbs
that are valued by their glycemic index plus dosing protein gives a good
picture of the actual grams glucose that will show up in the body and require

There is a formula we used to derive the "meal coefficient", or the amount of
insulin per grams of glucose.  This can be done routinely or only
occasionally when there is illness and you want sick day doses or when there
has been a noticeable change in meal reactions or weight gain.

not an M.D.
works for Gabe