[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V6 #85

Hi Marion!

I've seen the method you describe used in Stop the
Rollercoaster, Pumping Insulin, and other sources but
they don't give credit to anyone in particular for the
system (did Ron Sebol really develop it? Or did he
develop a system using the GI?) :) Did you mean to say
carb factor (vs glycemic index)? You're using the term
glycemic index, which I've never seen used in this way
before. They are two different things. The carb factor
gives the actual concentration of the amount of
carbohydrate - to get the g of carbs you weigh the
item and multiply its weight by the carb factor (which
is exactly what you describe below). The glycemic
index ranks foods based on their immediate effect on
blood sugar - sugar is given a ranking of 100. But it
appears from what you are showing here that you are
using the glycemic index in the same way as the carb
factor. I've never seen it used in that way before. I
don't mean to come across like I'm picking on you,
just want to make sure I'm understanding what you're
doing correctly.

I think you'll do just great with pumping, btw!

Marion said:
We calculate  every carb portion by its glycemic index
and then use that value (the grams of glucose) to dose

Take care, Kerri, mom of Shannon-11, dxT1 5.2yrs, pumping 2.2yrs
Military Families of Children with Diabetes [MFCWD] parent
network of WA, diabetes & pump mentor, future CDE, but most
importantly, mom to 8 beautiful blessings :)
~*~Integrity is how you behave when no one is looking~*~

Do You Yahoo!?