Re: [IP] depression and diabetes

>From: "Kathleen Peterson" <email @ redacted>

>I have been depressed a lot lately, and
>I am curious to know if anyone has had depression that requires medication.
>The doctor put me on prozac. Has anyone taken this? I'd appreciate any input.
>I am new to this whole depression thing...I just feel hopeless though and want
>to know if anyone else has been through this.

Over recent years, Diabetes & Depression have been discussed
extensively on this list and in misc.health.diabetes.  Always seemed
to me that there is a disproportionate number of diabetics who are
depressed.  Recent studies indicate that in the US 30% of all long
term diabetics are on disability for severe depression.  Also that
40% of all people diag with D are also diag with depression within
teh following four years.

It seems that depression is another direct complication of diabetes
and certainly is a complication of long term diabetes. Whether
depression develops in diabetics due to the arduous task of coping
with a 7/24 chronic disorder and it's complications (incl. the
financial ones) or as a result of long term effects on our body/brain
chemistry is yet to be determined.  Combine both factors though and
you would get a lethal cocktail.

ADA has an article on this matter:

It has indeed been my experience that most of the long term diabetics
(incl myself) which I correspond with from this list are severely
depressed.  It has also been my experience that most long term
diabetics I have encountered in other forums are also severely
depressed.  ONly after I started experiencing the symptoms of
depression two years ago and spoke about them here and elsewhere did
I come ot understand how frequent depression is among long term

If you feel you "something is not right"; not only see your doctor
but talk about it and perhaps seek out a councilor.  Cognitive
Therapy can be as effective as antidepressants in treating depression
if you wish to avoid antidepressants.  However studies indicate the
most effective treatment is a combo of cognitive therapy and

One thing is for sure:  When my mood is up; stat keeping and bg
testing is not a big task.  when my mood is down; stat keeping and bg
testing is a chore which seems to take superhuman effort to do.
Controling depression is as important to the DM routine as is carb
counting or insulin!

Darrin Parker
Ontario, Canada

I have used the insulin infusion pump for one year thanks to the
support of wonderful internet friends & the

The Pump gave me better control than I had achieved in 27 years of
MDI!  Best pre-pump HeA1c = 9.2.  1st & 2nd post-pump HeA1c = 5.1 &