[IP] Re: depression

In a message dated 2/1/2002 7:20:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Hello all...
 I have another question now that I have the 'red bumps' taken care of. I went
 to the doctors today....I have been sleeping a lot lately...more than
 you could ever imagine. It wasn't diabetes related either. Well, by the time
 went to the school health center, my blood sugar was over 500...and my site
 was infected, and I was falling apart. I have been depressed a lot lately,
 I am curious to know if anyone has had depression that requires medication.
 The doctor put me on prozac. Has anyone taken this? I'd appreciate any input.
 I am new to this whole depression thing...I just feel hopeless though and
 to know if anyone else has been through this. I am sorry for being so long
 winded.... >>

Hi Kathleen,

Never been on medication for depression, but I do have it off and on. Here's
the biggest cause for me: out of control DM. Any period of high, or even
moderately-high BGs, and I start sleeping, losing interest in life, not
returning phone calls, not cooking and cleaning, not practicing violin (and
that's my profession!), and...(ironically) not taking care of my diabetes as
well as I should!  Which (big surprise) brings me back to the start of the
cycle. What helps me snap out of this cycle? Forcing myself to concentrate on
getting better diabetes control, being outdoors and active even if it's the
last thing I want...then the BGs improve and I have enough energy and
optimism to live right. Acupuncture once a month helps keep me on an even
keel too, and yoga practice. Sounds like you're grasping the bull by the
horns and getting some help for high blood sugars/infections...maybe the
depression will lift when the BGs come down, before needing to start Prozac
etc. Depression can be a physical symptom. Best of luck to you, you're not
the only one!

Laura G.
38 yrs old, Type 1 DM 22 yrs, pump 3.5 yrs