[IP] Re: infection and huge BGs

In a message dated 1/31/2002 7:16:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I have an upper respiratory infection. My BGs are
 through the roof. I've read about that happening, but
 it's never happened to me (8 years DMer). I bolus and
 I start to come down, but 4 hours later I'm back up to
 350. My basal is at around 1.1 (usually .6 or .7).
 Will someone reassure me that this can happen when you
 get sick? I just started antibiotics yesterday.
 Catherine >>

Hi Catherine,

Yep, that's happened to me too with some infections. Treat the infection,
test constantly, keep correction-bolusing, eat light, simple and predictable
things and bolus more than usual for them (remember your insulin/carb ratio
is based on how much insulin you need in a day, so it's higher now), keep
your basals high (but watch out when you start getting well!), rest, keep
calm...If you stay high for more than a few days, suspect that the
antibiotics aren't killing the bugs, and get help. Lucky us, we have an extra
red flag indicating infections!! Hang in there Catherine!

Laura G.
38 yrs old, Type I DM 22 yrs, pump 3.5 yrs