Re: [IP] depression and diabetes

In a message dated 2/1/02 12:28:17 AM US Eastern Standard Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< I have been depressed a lot lately, and
 I am curious to know if anyone has had depression that requires medication.
 The doctor put me on prozac. Has anyone taken this? I'd appreciate any input.
 I am new to this whole depression thing...I just feel hopeless though and
 to know if anyone else has been through this.  >>

I think depression is one of the most-common "complications" of diabetes. So
you're hardly alone. Prozac is a good medicine and works for a great number
of people. It didn't work for me -- made me more depressed, but Serzone does
work and that's what I take.

Stress can cause depression. Just as your pancreas cannot produce enough
insulin to control your BGs, you brain does not always produce enough of the
proper chemicals to maintain emotional stability. Anti-depressants help boost
the chemical that's needed.

I don't know that there has been any research on this, but my unproven theory
as to why a higher percentage of people with diabetes have a problem with
depression than the general population is because the added stress of having
to deal with DM control *on top of* everything else simply pushes our brains
"over the edge."

I used to think that taking antidepressants was a shameful thing. Now I know
that they're a good thing because they supplement what is lacking in my brain
-- just as insulin supplements what is lacking in my pancreas. I also think
you'll find a lot of fellow "travelers" on this list.

My best to you,
Jan and Elvis