Re: [IP] Advice/disability-long

>I understand.  I only recently received notification that my disability case
>had been approved.  Even from my Dad, Mom, and siblings I get the feeling
>they think I did this to just not work.  I have worked since I was 14 and am
>now 40.  I worked on days I could hardly function.  My husband and daughter
>are supportive because they see me every day.  Sometimes I feel so upset with
>my parents and siblings, I just wish they could understand.  I had a
>heartattack in 1998, have lost most of my vision, things are just starting to
>shut down.  I have been a diabetic since I was 2 1/2, can't they understand
>my body is tired.  I maintain pretty good control all; those years will tell
>and I would like to enjoy the ones I have left without being made to feel

I know how it feels to be "guilted" into things by family.  Esp. form teh
diabetes aspect of guilt.

Please try & remember the following.  it helped me:

Your first duty is to yourself and unless you do what is right for you, you
will not be able ot look after anyone else.

Consider others' opinions but keep in mind that whatever will enhance your
life, happiness and physical health is a HEALTHY thing to choose to do.
Whatever detracts form it is UNHEALTHY!

I found this a useful aid in decision making.  It can help determine
whether you are basing your decisions on healthy or unhealthy values.

In the end, no one else is in a place to tell you what to do - they can't
understand.  If you do whatever it takes (regardless of the perceived
negative effects on those around you) to make your life better, you are
making the right and responsible choice.  you ahve to do this in order to
be fit to look after others!

All the best and remember you don't have to rush things!

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!
Pumping for 3 months thanks to the support of wonderful internet friends &
the IP.Org list!
of MDI!  (To date:  53% improvement in average bg's and 80% fewer hypos)!