Re: [IP] duration of low after exercise

>Does anyone have experience with going low MANY hours after exercise?  My 10
>year old son doesn't go low right after a workout, but can be low the next
>day.  Is this possible? Thanks.  Kathy

What you are seeing is normal.

The chaper in Pumping insulin, gives a comprehensive but confusing outline
on exersice and bg control.  It answered many questions I had over the
years.  Unfortunatly there are eight factors to consider when determining
how to maintain bg's during and after exercise.  This means there are 64
permutations of "what to do". Arrghh!

Anyway, with me and apparently this is the average case, the requirement
for insulin is significantly lowered for up to 36 hours after exercsie
(depending on level of conditoin, type of exercise and duration).

When I was running or biking on a regular basis, I'd need about 50% less
basal (in those days U or N) for a full 24 - 36 hours after exercise.  When
I was doing two hour workouts at the gym, that would only reduce my insulin
requirements foro about 12 hours after exercise.

Just some of MHE.  Hope this is a start for you.  I suggest you keep an eye
on his bg's every two hours after exercise and treat lows as they arrise
and then after seeing about how long his insulin requirements are indeed
lowered; try various lowered temp basals for that duration and test, test,
test to get a handle on it.

YMMV Good luck!  He is so lucky to have a mom like you! :)

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!
Pumping for 3 months thanks to the support of wonderful internet friends &
the IP.Org list!
of MDI!  (To date:  53% improvement in average bg's and 80% fewer hypos)!