[IP] talking to schools

> Breanne Kelly <email @ redacted>
> I talk to schools. Do you have any information
> on what i can talk about? I have to do my first one soon. I cannot
> talk about the pump because they don't even know what diabetes is.
> Also If anyone has done any traveling with the pump, i am going to
> Europe for two weeks during spring break and need some help about
> having to deal with it. Thank-you so much.

I saw this on the IP site. I am a Toastmaster (see www.toastmasters.org) and I
joined because a Lion's Club wanted me to talk about DM for 20 min. I took
only 45!!!  I thought I was to tell them everything I knew about it. If they
don't know what DM is, this is a perfect opportunity for you to educate them.
I'll bet someone knows someone who has it; you can be sure they WILL know
someone sometime who will get it. Can you get any flyers from JDF and have
them available to hand out to those who are interested? I copied a graph about
DM from a booklet I had and blew it up so the audience can see it (now, not
long ago). This shows you are prepared and helps the people see what you mean.
It also helps you remember what point you are on at the time. DO NOT talk to
the chart - face the people and be loud enough for the back row to hear you. I
would suggest talking about the symptoms. We are very familiar with them, but
the general public doesn't know. Explain how you found out you have DM.

Explain about EVERYONE has to have insulin. Type 1's pancreas doesn't work so
we take insulin under the skin (injections or pump). Tell them there are many
new developments to help diabetics have better blood glucose control to add
better quality years to their lives.

In 1950 I was told there would be many things to come along to help diabetics
in my lifetime, but nothing would ever help me. I used to get one shot a day
of NPH/Reg mixed, we had to do urine tests for sugar and that is not reliable
at all, we got one BG done at the dr's office or lab every 1-3 months with NO
HbA1C's, and we even have computers to help us!

Good luck on your speech, dear, and let us know how it goes.

http://maxpages.com/bludasue AND http://www.picturetrail.com/dmbashpics (now
with an album of the evolution of pumps)
Poor spellers of the world, untie!