Re: [IP] Re: pump educator

Both 'Registered Dietitians' and 'Dietetic Technicians, Registered' are
registered with the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR.) However, for
the DTR, their registration just signified that they have completed the
requirements and passed their exam.  THEY ARE NOT IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM

There is HUGE difference in the education that I have received and what a
diet tech has received.  I have gone to school for twice as long as they have
(actually, I have gone 4 years, they have gone only 18 months total,) and I
had spent over 1000 hours in a hospital learning all the in's-and-out's of

The position as DTR was created by the CDR to provide help to the RDs and get
us in with the patients and get us out of the diet office.  Many, not all,
DTRs work in management, not Clinically.

Nutrition involves MUCH more than just diet instructions...I deal with
patients in ICUs, medical-surgical units...all realms of medicine. I deal
with patients that cannot swallow, cannot speak, just after transplant, just
after hip and knee replacement.  I figure out tube feeding formulas as well
as IV feedings.  I have more of a medically based training than most nurses

So to answer the question below, no just having the 'R' in the DTR is not
allowed.  Even the website says 'registered with the CDR as a dietitian...'

Please accept that the DTRs are not RDs.  And in some states, the credential
is meaningless.

Roxanne Villanueva RD, LD
Cleveland, Ohio
IDDM X 18 years, Pumping since 1/4/1995.
e-mail:    email @ redacted