Re: [IP] People +pumps

This people's weird reactions is one of the reasons why I'm sort of glad that
my son Joshua, who is nine and dxd at 5.5 is getting started early.  So far
he is the only DMer in his school and the only pumper in his whole district.
This friday Josh is participating in his school's science fair for the first
time.  He and I got to talking in January and decided that he would do
something about diabetes.  So we settled on answering the question:  How Do
Diabetics Get Their Insulin?  So far the materials we have put together (and
I use that 'we' word VERY loosely here!!!) have been fantastic.  And we
decided to go with Josh's own personal story of diagnosis to pump for his
research paper part of the project.  All of Josh's friends are very
non-plussed about Josh's DM.  They see him doing all of the 'normal' things
they do, and since the pump he has been able to eat most of the same things
they do, just in moderation.  It is so neat when one of his friends, knowing
that he has DM will actually substitute a low sugar or 'sugar free' product
knowing that it is easier for Josh.  And we just look upon it as this child
and his parents realizing it is OK and they are willing to make the
adjustments.  Anyway, if this is the reason that God placed this 'gift' on my
son then it must be for the purpose of teaching others, and catching them
while they are still young enough to learn!!

  Wish us luck for friday.  I'm kind of nervous but I know Josh is VERY
familiar with his subject and will do well!!

mom to Joshua