Re: [IP] Re: Concern about meters and reliability

Darrin Parker wrote:
> 10%-15% error ranges on most meters are acceptable.  However this means
> that a reading of 4.5 could be 3.8 or 5.2.  Hypo or not?  It's a guess.  A
> reading of 18 could be 15.3 or 20.7.  Correct with 7.5 u or 5 u?  it's a
> guess.

Yup, you're right. So I add another factor into the equation. How am I
FEELING??? Is there a reason that I could be high or low?

If I'm feeling low, I correct -- conservatively (that is, I don't eat
the whole house), but I DO correct.

And check again in 10 - 15 minutes. And if I don't start to feel better,
10 - 15 minutes after THAT! It means a lot of strips sometimes, but it
pretty much keeps me on track.

If I think I might be high, I also check. I don't necessarily correct on
the first high reading, if I think I might still have some insulin
working and might come down on my own. But I DO check again in another
hour to see if I have come down. If not, then I correct. Again,
conservatively -- go with the lower total, because I can always correct
again later.

An example: it's 3 hours after eating and I'm 163. OK, there might still
be insulin working; I'm not going to do anything. However, 4 hours after
eating I'm 157. That's not REALLY a drop, so I take one unit (which
drops me 50 mg/dl) to get down to approx. 100. It takes 2 hours for
Humalog to peak, so I check again in another 2 hours (6 hours PP) and
I'm 133. So I take another .5 unit, again, aiming at about 100. Chances
are VERY good that I'll be in range within 2 hours. (What did I eat????

Another example:  it's 2 hours after eating and I'm 210. Well I KNOW
there's still insulin working, so I don't do anything. I check again at
3 hours, and guess what, it's 162. OK, it dropped. I check again at 4
hours, and guess what -- it's 112. Well, that's within range, as far as
I'm concerned, so I was right not to do anything. (What did I eat?
Cereal and milk)

A third example: I just woke up at 147. I take 1 unit for 50 mg/dl and
then add whatever I'm calculating for breakfast. But I wait until I'm
sure my BGs are falling before actually eating. So I might eat breakfast
15 minutes later than I might otherwise. And I ALWAYS check 2 hours
after breakfast to see if my strategy worked. Sometimes it does and
sometimes it doesn't.  If it didn't, I can always correct.

What I'm trying to show is that the accuracy of the meter isn't THAT
critical, if you're willing to correct in small increments and check
frequently. Certainly, you don't want to run around with a BG above 300
for hours and hours, but once you're below 200, you can afford to be a
little more cautious.

I once read that the lowest rate of complications in Pima Indians
(approx. 50% of whom are Type 2), was among those whose 2-hour PP BG was
under 180.  So I kinda use that as my goal and guide -- I'm NOT going to
have normal BGs (because most normals are back at baseline by 2 hours),
because it's too easy to overcompensate, but at least I have that number
to compare with.

As Sammi said, you can obsess about it, and give yourself an ulcer
(figuratively!) or you can just accept that you're going to have to work
at it, and then go about your business.

Good luck!
 Type Weird, pumping!
 mailto:email @ redacted