[IP] Things we've learned after first month of pumping

Hi all!  Kathleen (my 7 year old) has been on the H-tron for a month now.
Thought I'd pass on 2 points that were important to us, and maybe save
another new pumper
some trouble.

First, I'd posted a question on how people keep the sets from coming out.
Got lots of great answers, but we still had problems.  My pump trainer
finally asked me step by step how I prepped the site.  Turned out, I was not
cleaning the emla numbing cream off well enough!  (Duh!) I had been wiping
with a tissue, then using IV Prep, then inserting.  She told me to use 3
tissues, then 3 separate alcohol wipes, then the IV Prep.  This worked a lot
better!  Still, using the soft-sets, water would get under the holding tape
while Kathleen was in the shower.  Today we finally tried Mastisol liquid
adhesive after the alcohol wipes, in place of the IV Prep, under the whole
tape area.  Looks like it should stick fine.  (We went under the whole tape
area, because Kathleen's skin was reacting a bit from the tape. Our endo
nurse thought the Mastisol would act as a barrier and actually help protect
the skin.)  We're also trying all the different tapes, trial and error.  I
have of course the IV3000 and bumpy tape that comes in the set, plus samples
of OP-SITE and polyskin (spelling?).

Item # 2 - We're kind of new at the whole diabetes thing, (diagnosed last
summer).  I just discovered a great benefit for getting supplies.  I had been
getting insulin, needles, strips, etc., from a local and mail-in pharmacy
service, with a co-pay each time.  When it was my first time to renew our
pump supplies, I thought I'd have to call Disetronic for cartridges, Mini-med
for sets, and continue with the pharmacies for the other items.  Turns out
our BS/BC PPO plan had "Durable Medical Equipment" preferred providers in our
book of providers.  I called a few, and found one that will get us ALL our
diabetes supplies, including prescriptions, mail them to our door, and accept
for payment what our insurance provides, with no out of pocket expenses to
us! WOW!

Thought I'd pass this along, as it took me over 6 months to stumble onto it

We're looking forward to completing our initial adjustments, and for all of
this pump stuff becoming routine!  Thanks to the list for all your help!

Jeanne, Mom of Kathleen, 7, dx'd 7/00 and pumping since 1/16/01,  Amanda 10, &
Wife of Bill, from sunny South Florida.