Re: [IP] Re: Concern about meters and reliability

Yes, equipment is another weak link in our chain.

10%-15% error ranges on most meters are acceptable.  However this means
that a reading of 4.5 could be 3.8 or 5.2.  Hypo or not?  It's a guess.  A
reading of 18 could be 15.3 or 20.7.  Correct with 7.5 u or 5 u?  it's a

In addition, contamination on the test site, whether it be soap residue,
glucose or other will skew readings as well and add to this error range.

In addition to the above, ambient temperature, location of test sample site
and even the size of the drop of blood (depth of sample) will skew the
results and add to the above error ranges.

All in all, we are at best likely to be within 20% of actual bg level.
Quite a guessing game, eh?

My solution is to use consistent techinques.  therefore, as I have tested
in the past for variations, the error range is kept to that of the meter
even if the samples are consistently a little higher or lower than they
actually are.

All the best!  DM makes stats keeping for baseball look like child's play!

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!
Pumping for 2 months thanks to the support of wonderful internet friends!
of MDI!  (To date:  50% improvement in average bg's and 85% fewer hypos)!