[IP] Cold weather requires 20-50% decrease in basals?

Looking for experience here:

This has happend three times now and the only factor that seems to be the
cause is temperature change.

Current basals seem OK during the periods the air temperature is -5 to +5.
Again the last couple days the temperature (with windchill) is hovering at
-20 to -40.  Even though I am not outside much; my basals appear to need a
steep decrease.  Unfortunately these cold snaps only last a few days at a
time so i'v yet to get a grasp on just how much to drop the basals.

Currently I'm running at 80% and have now been below 3.5 for 48 hours.  As
the days go on not being able to reach normal range for long; emotional
control and cognitive ability start to suffer.  The only solution to cold
weather I can think of is to drop basals blindly to like 50% and eat twice
as much?

Any experience would be appreciated.  TIA.

Darrin Parker
Nova Scotia, Canada!
Pumping for 2 months thanks to the support of wonderful internet friends!
of MDI!  (To date:  50% improvement in average bg's and 85% fewer hypos)!