[IP] MiniMed Inc. Announces Investment In DMCare Venture and Related Strategic Alliance

http://famulus.msnbc.com/famuluscom/businesswire02-22-044420.asp?sym=MNMD

BUSINESS WIRE

NORTHRIDGE, Calif., Feb. 22  MiniMed Inc. (Nasdaq:MNMD) announced today that
it has made an investment in DMCare, Inc. and entered into a strategic
development agreement with the Colorado Springs based privately held company.

       DMCare has developed and offers a novel on-demand intervention and
educational web-based service to assist diabetes patients and their
healthcare
providers to optimize blood glucose control. DMCare currently offers
automated
dosing support services (within physician set guidelines) for diabetes
patients who take insulin injections, as well as a wide range of
patient-specific treatment, educational and online nurse counseling services.
Under the terms of the agreement, DMCare will develop an automated dosing
support algorithm that can be accessed and utilized exclusively by MiniMed
insulin pump patients and their prescribing physicians. This partnership is
consistent with MiniMed's strategy to attract a broader range of general
practitioners to the Company's technologies and services.
       In addition to the investment by MiniMed, the companies will
participate in a number of cooperative initiatives, which include an
automated
insulin dosing support platform for pump patients, cross-marketing programs,
reimbursement and data management initiatives, and patient and physician
educational activities. All of these initiatives will be designed to
streamline and reduce the common barriers associated with patient and
physician adoption of intensive diabetes management.
       MiniMed's Executive Chairman, Alfred E. Mann, stated, "We are happy to
announce our investment in DMCare, which will help us offer our patients
additional tools to better manage their disease. In order to best control
diabetes, insulin-using patients must contend with the organization and
analysis of a tremendous volume of information. The DMCare system will help
our diabetes patients use the speed, access and convenience of the Internet
empower themselves to better control their disease on a daily basis."
       Terry Gregg, MiniMed's President and Chief Operating Officer, added,
"We are pleased to announce our alliance with DMCare, with whom we share a
commitment to serving the diabetes patient community with the most advanced
tools available to control their disease. This alliance will help us leverage
the software capabilities of MiniMed's products, expand our presence into the
broader primary care market, and provide additional support for our future
diabetes product portfolio."
       Stephen S. S. Hyde, DMCare's Chairman and CEO, said, "MiniMed
represents the cutting edge of technology for improving the lives of the
millions of people with diabetes who require insulin. We are gratified to
have
been chosen by MiniMed to partner in this next-generation service. Working
together to provide the advantages of MiniMed's insulin infusion pumps and
glucose sensors to a wider audience of physicians and their patients is our
common goal. It is exciting to be associated with an organization that so
fervently shares our dedication to improving the lives of people with
diabetes."
       MiniMed Inc. designs, develops, manufactures and markets advanced
infusion systems with a primary emphasis on the intensive management of
diabetes. The Company's products include external pumps and related
disposables, a first generation continuous glucose monitoring system as well
as exclusive marketing rights to an implantable insulin pump, which is
currently approved for distribution in the European Community and has not yet
been cleared for marketing in the U.S. The Company is also developing new
infusion systems to deliver compounds designed to treat a variety of medical
conditions.
       This Press Release contains statements that are forward-looking,
including statements relating to the development, regulatory approval,
manufacture, introduction, distribution, and commercial acceptance of new
products, the ability of DMCare to develop an automated dosing support
algorithm that can be accessed and utilized exclusively by MiniMed insulin
pump patients and prescribing physicians, the ability of MiniMed and DMCare
participate in cooperative initiatives including an automated insulin dosing
support platform, cross-marketing programs, reimbursement and data management
initiatives and patient and physician educational activities, the ability of
such joint programs to streamline and reduce the common barriers associated
with patient and physician adoption of intensive diabetes management, the
ability of MiniMed to offer its patients additional tools to better manage
their disease, the ability of the DMCare system to help our diabetes patients
use the speed, access and convenience of the Internet to empower themselves
better control their disease on a daily basis, the ability of both MiniMed to
leverage the software capabilities of its products, expand its presence into
the broader primary care market, and provide additional support for its
future
diabetes product portfolio are made pursuant to the Safe Harbor provisions of
the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Investors are cautioned
that, although MiniMed believes that its expectations are based on reasonable
assumptions, forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties which
may affect MiniMed's business and prospects, including changes in economic
and
market conditions, acceptance of MiniMed's products by the health care and
reimbursement communities, the ability of MiniMed to grow its markets, health
care legislation and regulation, new developments in diabetes therapy, the
ability to obtain administrative and regulatory approvals for products
currently in development, competitive developments, changes in MiniMed's
capital requirements, the compatibility of differing information systems and
other factors discussed in the Company's filings with the Securities and
Exchange Commission. While to the best of the Company's knowledge, the
information presented in this release is accurate; the Company disclaims any
obligation to update the information provided herein.

Copyright 2001 Business Wire