Re: [IP] Vitamins and supplements for us Ds

OK.  Some of you may not like what I am going to say about alternative
medicine, but that's OK with me.  It won't be the first time that I've been
told so.

Herbs and other supplements are dangerous.  I am not talking about vitamins.
Herbs and supplements are not regulated by the FDA and are big money makers
for their manufacturers.  There is no guarantee that what you are getting is
pure...especially where herbs are concerned.  Vitamin and mineral supplements
can be toxic...Vitamin A can cause liver damage.  Too much Calcium can cause
kidney stones.  Vitamin B6 can cause neuropathy.  The list goes on.

Herbs and supplements have been used for centuries as medicines.  However,
not always successfully.  We get some of our most potent chemotherapies from
plants in the rain forests.  We get DIGOXIN from the plant digitalis.
There is an herbal form of phen-phen (the former diet drug,) that is still
being marketed.  But this herbal form causes the same dangerous side effects
as the manufactured pills did.
Did you know that high doses of Vitamin C when taken in a diabetic patient,
can give falsely high glucose readings?  The chemical structure of Vitamin C
is so close to the chemical structure of Glucose that our meters cannot
distinguish the difference.  Therefore our meters give falsely elevated
readings.

I agree with diabetics taking a general multivitamin...and maybe a chromium
supplement.  Our diets in America for ALL people is chronically low in
chromium.  I personally take chromium and have noticed a difference in my
ability to correct a high.  And I have been getting low too often and have
started to adjust my basal rates.  Unless someone has a deficiency in a
certain vitamin or mineral, there is no reason to take it.  Only a general
multivitamin poses no problems.

If you insist on trying natural remedies, then please talk to your physician.
 Only he/she will know what effect they will have on your Diabetes.  Also
find a DIETITIAN that specializes in herbal therapy.  They are out there and
you can probably find one through www.eatright.org the website for the
American Dietetic Association.  And keep in mind that there is a difference
between a 'nutritionist' and a 'Registered Dietitian.'  And in some states,
unless they have a license, don't go to them either.  You should also check
with your pharmacist also.  DO NOT GOT TO THE PEOPLE IN THE STORE SELLING THE
STUFF--->THEIR ONLY GOAL IS THEIR COMMISSION MONEY.  They will pick up on
what you are asking about and point you towards anything and tell you
anything.

You have to take care of yourselves, no the wallets of everyone else.

Roxanne Villanueva RD, LD
Registered Dietitian, Licensed Dietitian (Ohio.)
Cleveland, Ohio
IDDM X 18 years, Pumping since 1/4/1995.
e-mail:    email @ redacted